Tuesday, March 1, 2011

El Cheapo 1: Microwave Birthday Brownies

How exciting is this month going to be?? I've been planning El Cheapo since January, and I am thrilled to get started! Today is a quick and easy gift idea. It is way under $5 and almost too good to be true. This recipe is of my own making and is derived from one of my favorite brownie recipes called "Fudgy Saucepan Brownies" (they won some sort of state championship 4 years in a row in Washington State). There is a reason why everything is the way it is. I know there are countless recipes online for "cake in a mug" type things, but my experience has been that they are far less than satisfying. Usually, the texture is dry, not at all unlike eating a couch cushion, big on chocolate flavor that doesn't last, and flat. Most recipes I've seen don't include salt or vanilla, and have equal parts flour, sugar, and cocoa. To top of the nasty business, they cook it in a mug! Have you ever tried to bake a real cake in a tall, skinny, cylinder? No. Cakes (and brownies) were never meant to be treated in such a way! This recipe works because the proportions remain intact and it is "cooked" in a container that mimics a 9X13 pan. Now, some of you may recoil at the sight of so much sugar, but I beg you to give some consideration to real cakes. The proportion is the same. I've said it before and I'll say it again, sugar is a flavor enhancer-you don't need to add tons and tons of cocoa to get a chocolatey flavor, just use a little bit of sugar. Also, 8 T=1/2 c. Just think about that. :) Enough of my cooking snob soap box, let's get started!

Materials:
Scrapbook paper
Adhesive
a sandwich sized tupperware
pantry items

1. Make your container cute! This gift can be decorated in a number of different ways, so get creative and have fun. :)


2. Fill it with the brownie mix - just the dry stuff, let them add the wet ingredients.

Microwave Birthday Brownies
5 T. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. baking powder
2 T. cocoa
4 T. butter, melted
1/4 t. vanilla
1 egg
*I'm a nerd and forgot to write the directions. :) Here they are:
Mix the dry ingredients and add them to a low, flat container. Add the wet ingredients and stir well. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Cook them on regular power for 1 min. 50 sec. Let cool and enjoy!


3. Give them a copy of the recipe...obviously. :) And tie the whole thing up in a pretty little bow.


4. Let them (or you) enjoy!

3 comments:

The Pluims said...

LOVE it!!!

Tammy said...

Did I miss the recipe somewhere? THat is really a cute idea and I am going to have to try it.

Aubrielle said...

Tammy, I double checked and made sure that I did include the recipe (things have been crazy and it is possible that I would forget something like that. LOL!). It is under the second point. :) Good luck!