Thursday, April 21, 2011

Guest Blogger: Landee-Spiffy Easter Eggs

In celebration of one of my favorite holidays, I wanted to share this incredible idea with you (and check out her gorgeous photos! I'm drooling)! Landee from Landee See, Landee Do, is a girl after my own heart and totally blinged out her Easter eggs! Unique colors, unique styles, unique eggs. I love them. I will be making some of my own Landeed eggs, as well as sharing some of my own "spiffified" eggs with you soon. Take a second to pop on over to her blog and tell her what an amazing gal she is! Thanks again, Landee for the amazing tutorial!







This could also have been called "Not Your Mother's Easter Eggs." Nothing against YOUR mom, of course. You know what I mean.





I was in the grocery store and saw Family Fun magazine's Easy Crafts for Kids. I thumbed through it for a minute and saw that they had a little section on different ways to decorate Easter eggs with your kids. You know... put rubberbands around them before dying them, roll them across bubble wrap which has a layer of craft paint on it, etc. One of the suggestions was to do this:










Put glue dots all over the egg and then douse in glitter. It looked adorable! And it got me thinking (p.s. I love my daughter's chipped fingernail polish and digging-for-rocks-dirt-under-nails look).





I then came home and got cracking on making some spiffier eggs. Spiffy is my Dad's favorite word, and for good reason. Say it out loud. Spiffy. SPIFFY. SPIFFY!! See?





So I had a TON of those dense styrofoam eggs I had gotten on clearance last year after Easter.










They are cute, traditional and look adorable in glass vases. I decided I could sacrifice a few to give them new life and make them EGG-stra special (couldn't resist, sorry). I'm sure any of these things could be done on actual hard-boiled eggs as well.





To begin with I painted the eggs some bolder/fresher colors.










Sticking the wooden skewer in them was a life saver. I also spray painted some to see how the shinier look would be. Both ways worked great. It all depends on the look you're going for. The skewers were also nice for letting them dry. I figured I'd either cover the holes later or no one would see them when they are nestled down in a basket anyway. Doing this with hard-boiled eggs is not recommended. :)










When the paint dried, the bling-ing began....





Bling Treatment #1


Metallic Flower


Need: metallic craft paint, wooden skewer, various craft/scrapbook gems (I'm sure you have some in your stash)










Dip the blunt end of your skewer in the paint and dot it on the egg 5 times to form a flower. With the paint still wet, add a gem to the center.










Repeat until you get the look you want. Different paint and gem colors create totally different looks.










Bling Treatment #2


Metallic Paint Dots


Need: Metallic paint, wooden skewer










Same idea as the flowers but even easier & faster! Just dip the blunt end of the skewer in the paint to make cute dots all over.





Bling Treatment #3


Simple Vinyl Designs


Need: vinyl designs from Silhouette or other cutting device.










A simple monogram is classy.













Adorable bunny shape.


Although, next time I would probably cut him a little smaller as it was tough smoothing him out around the curve of the egg. It's still not totally smooth actually.










One of Silhouette's borders wrapped around the egg is TDF.





Bling Treatment #4


Vinyl plus Gems!










This was the obvious next step, right?










And after a couple hours of really fun crafting you end up with this!










I love my new spiffy eggs.





Will you be spiffy-fying or is traditional the way to go? Any other ways to spiffify? Please share!





Linking Up to:














1 comment:

Gage said...

Love them. That basket full of eggs is so super cute. Seriously, Love it.