Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Double Feature: Homemade Pizza and Angie's Healthy Smoothie

My husband is an avid fan of my homemade pizza, so we have it 3-4 times a month. It is so easy, and significantly less greasy than other kinds of pizza. I am sick of winter, so I decided to brighten things up a bit by making this delicious (and healthy) smoothie!


The secret to making tasty pizza crust from scratch is to not over or under knead your dough. A very little bit of sugar added to the dough makes for a well rounded flavor that tickles your taste buds in all the right places. I like to saute my onions, mushrooms, and onions to bring out the natural sugars of the veggies-this combats some of the bitterness of the bell peppers and onions.

Pizza Dough
1 c. water
1 T. yeast
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
2 T. oil
2 c. flour

Proof yeast (1/2 c. water, 1 T. yeast, and 1/2 t. sugar), set aside. Mix 1 c. flour, 1 T. sugar, 1 1/2 t. salt. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture, add oil and 1/2 c. water, mix with plastic spoon vigorously for 3 min. and cover with towel. When spongy, add last 1 c. flour, dump on board. Knead till elastic (spray board with PAM). Place in bowl sprayed with PAM. Let rise till 2X volume. Roll out and top with cheese, veggies, and meats. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 min (or until golden brown).



I love this smoothie because it reminds me of a strawberry Skittle. It is quick. It is easy. It is healthy. This makes for one ridiculously wonderful smoothie. I am a cooking snob, so I'm going to say it like it is-don't leave out the VERY LITTLE bit of sugar. Sugar, like salt, is a flavor enhancer. If you leave out the sugar, your smoothie will be flat instead of having 'brightness' that lasts.

1/4 c. frozen orange juice
1/2 c. ice
1 1/2 c. fruit mix (cantelope, grapes, strawberry, mango-from Sam's)
1-8oz. peach yogurt
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. water (just enough to mix)

Blend in blender. Serve immediately.

No comments: