Thursday, February 10, 2011

Green Pearl Necklace and a Piece of Me

I had an interesting week (and weekend). Aside from the breathtakingly huge ticket I got, I taught myself how to knit. What does knitting have to do with a pearl necklace, you ask? Nothing. Just an FYI. We are holding a fundraiser to send our 12-18 year old girls to girls camp this summer. The girls decided that they wanted to make gift baskets, so I learned how to knit so I could make an adorable knitted monster to toss in. The pattern came from this book, and it was worth every penny! I'll be posting pics of the gift baskets once they are finished this weekend. I also am going to break my rules (again) and post a fantastic tutorial Saturday. It's a Valentines wreath like you've never seen. :)

Now that all that is out of the way, lets talk about pearls...


I admit I didn't tell the full truth when I posted that I was a food snob. I am a jewelry snob too...and a craft snob...I'm not proud of it, but I was raised that way (to always do my best and never accept anything less than perfection). Thus you find me. Unable to wear jewelry that isn't made of real things like semi precious stones and solid sterling silver. Unable to eat dessert at restaurants. Unable to buy something that I could easily make myself. I admit, it's tough being me. :)

But I digress...what I'm trying to get at is how to tell if the pearls you have are real. Take your pearl and gently (because they scratch fairly easily) rub it along the bottom of your teeth. If it feels "gritty", or not smooth, they are real. If it is perfectly smooth and slips/slides easily, they are fake.



I found the idea for this necklace in Easy Beading Vol. 5. I'll look up the page if you need it. :)

No comments: